Monday, July 13, 2015

Summer in Wickford - Art Festival!

The sidewalk in front of my windows - my bedroom is in the front of the apartment!

Friday night setting up tents along the street
Saturday morning, the view down Brown Street

Walking in any direction in the village where I'm staying, I catch glimpses of Wickford harbor.

One block away from my apartment/house is the center of town

Typical historic home on the block

I "stole" a picture of one of the artists...typical beach art

The house where I'm renting.  The first little door (behind the pole) is an entry for my upstairs neighbor.  My doorway is the next door down.  Notice geraniums along walk to back and side of home where I enter.

A better picture of the home where I'm renting.  See the lady?  She is standing in front of what is my living room windows.  In this picture you can see the second little overhead "roof" for the doorway along the side of the building, which is the entrance to my apartment.

Early Saturday morning before the fest began!

Early Saturday again...


All "shops" closed up for the night.
















It was a fun experience to be here in Wickford this past weekend.  I'm told this art festival is one of the largest in New England.  Normally, I park my car right in front of the house.  Signs went up early Wednesday morning letting us know we needed to have our cars off the street by 5 pm on Friday.

Vendors started arriving sharply at 5 setting up their tents.  My landlord told me I could park my car in the church parking lot around the corner and not expect to drive much for the weekend!  The street remains open, but it's challenging to drive with all the people strolling about.

Earlier in the week I learned there would be food prepared and sold at different churches.  There is an Episcopalian church across the street and they were serving lobster roll sandwiches in the church hall all weekend.  $15.00 bought a lobster roll sandwich and a bag of chips!  I WENT TWICE!

The Baptist church had grills set up and they were serving hot dogs and hamburgers - and fries!  I haven't had a hot dog in a long time - it sure tasted good!  

The lady I'm renting from, Linda, is super nice and I asked her if she wanted to walk over with me on Friday night to enjoy a lobster roll.  She declined, saying she was too tired but said she would join me for lunch on Saturday if I wanted to walk over to the Baptist church.  So we did on Saturday at noon. While we were busy talking and eating, Linda invited me to the local neighborhood yearly art fest yard party Saturday night.  I got to meet lots of the neighbors.  Very friendly folks.

Both Saturday and Sunday I strolled around the streets enjoying some lovely art.  Since I don't have any walls at the moment to decorate, I declined purchasing.  I did pick up an art fest T-shirt, tho, and a birthday gift for my daughter in law.

Fun weekend in Rhode Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!