Thursday, July 9, 2015

April 13, 2015 Meeting TAR Friends in San Francisco

Breakfast with Don Bradner and Stephanie McCaffrey

What a fun birthday it was!  Not only was I in San Francisco and visiting with my sons Tim and Andrew, I was there for 10 WHOLE DAYS...and I got to meet two of my fellow ankle replacement "friends."  TAR = Total Ankle Replacement

Since my ankle replacement last August, I've been on a Facebook page that has been an amazing support group for me.  How many people do you know that have had an ankle replaced?  Probably none...well, me too!  Following my surgery last year, I was at a wound care appointment at Lutheran General and along came a man on a scooter (like me) with his foot all bandaged up.  We quickly started to chat about our injuries and surgeries and he told me about the Facebook page.

It's where I spend a lot of my internet time these days....specifically on this particular page.  It's private to everyone else so I can post and comment and the rest of my world doesn't get to see any of it.  I like it a lot.  This is where I've learned of other experiences with this surgery.  I've been able to learn about things that could help me from other's experiences.  I've also been able to explore ways to solve some of my issues by reading about how other's have handled some of the hardships that go along with ankle replacement and recovery.  It's been a fantastic support group for me.

Once I had my travel plans in place, I reached out on this page and announced that I would be in San Francisco and would enjoy meeting anyone in the area that had an ankle replaced.  Two folks responded, pictured above.  Don Bradner (who is one of the administrators of the site) and Stephanie McCaffrey.  Don had a routine check up in the city with his doctor and suggested we meet for breakfast.

It was a great start to my birthday!  Afterwards I took a Lyft ride down to the apple store - the new apple watch was being previewed.  Tim met me there and we checked it out together.  Yes, I would love to have an apple watch - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!