Saturday, April 18, 2015

Important People In Our Lives...


This is my friend, Ken.  He was in my life for a short time - but I have a forever connection to him because he stepped up and helped me when I needed help and was alone.

Ken lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina now.  We met thru motorcycle riding friends, Walt and Laurie Ingstrup.  They live in Glenview next door to Ken's brother.  Ken lived in New Jersey, another thing we have in common.  A New Jersey connection.  He bought a motorcycle and rode to Illinois to visit his brother after his divorce.  He met and became friends with Walt and Laurie (who lived next door to Ken's brother) and they introduced me to Ken.  I've been friends with Walt and Laurie for a long time.

In July of 2009, actually on Thursday evening, July 16th, Ken was visiting me in Palatine, we had dinner in my home and I left after dinner to attend a Volunteer meeting for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.    I decided to ride my Valkyrie Interstate Tourer motorcycle.

That's when I had my accident, on my way to the meeting.  When the paramedics arrived they asked me where they could find my cell phone.  I told them, and asked them NOT to call my sons - who all lived out of state - because they would be too worried about me.  I asked them to call Ken.

They called Ken and told him where they were taking me - to the hospital - and he met me there.  I don't remember the ride in the ambulance, and I vaguely remember Ken arriving in the ER while I was there...but I don't remember much else.

Ken reached out to my sons...I don't remember much else for those first few days in ICU and the hospital.  But I know Ken stayed close to me.

I'll always love Ken as my special friend and Angel in my life!  It was fun to visit with him in Chapel Hill and he treated me to a delicious barbecue dinner.  Afterwards we drove out to Maple View Farm, and we indulged in some fresh dairy ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!