Monday, August 24, 2015

Happy Road Wanderings

Roaming around the country is fun.   You might ask, why is it fun?  Well, first I would say you have to LIKE driving.  Not sure where I got my passion for driving but I LOVE it!  I don't tire of wondering where I'll go next.   In the spring of this year I was fortunate to drive from Illinois east to Rhode Island.  South to Georgia, West to Texas and then north to Illinois.

Over the summer I enjoyed a road trip from Illinois to Colorado, north to Washington State and then east to Illinois.  I was curious about the number of miles this involved so I started to track the miles.  To my surprise, the total miles came to 11,458!  Now, the last couple of thousand miles I can't claim I drove myself, as I was sharing an RV trip.  But I was the driver part of the time.  And, regardless - can you imagine traveling 11,458 miles on the road in the first half of a year?

Well, I can - and I did.  And you know what?  I'm ready to do it again!  Yup.  Again.  The last road trip traveling from Washington state to Illinois was not a relaxing trip.  There was a schedule.  Things were waiting for me in Illinois and in Rhode Island.  I needed to get back.  And along the way in the rush to drive east, there were so many small towns that I wanted to stop and explore.  I promised myself there would be another road trip.  A trip when I wouldn't have a schedule, when I could wander thru towns, relax, travel small country roads, enjoy more local culture and history and just smell the roses!

I got side tracked here.  The point I wanted to make in this post was how much I absolutely LOVE seeing friends and family along the way when I travel.   On the road from Colorado to Washington our drive took us thru Salt Lake City.  My sister Gail's son, Jess, lives in Salt Lake City.  I never met his wife, Sarah.  And I knew Jess and Sarah had two daughters Sophie and Maya.  From the day I started thinking and planning this trip I hoped I would be able to see Jess again and meet his family.  What a thrill it was to arrive in Salt Lake City to meet them.  We met for dinner - even tho it was a little late and I know Jess and Sarah are VERY busy parents with a new baby!
Sweet baby Jonah James McCarron
Jess and me

Jess, Sarah, Maya, Sophie and baby Jonah McCarron!  Love, Love, Love!!!!

For me, this is one of the thrills of my travel. I hear the call of the open road all the time. I'm so thankful to have incredible family and friends to enjoy on my adventures!

Thank you to Jess and Sarah for a fantastic visit. I hope our paths cross again - soon! You can be sure if I travel thru Utah again you'll hear from me wondering if we can enjoy another visit!  I loved meeting Sarah and enjoyed my visit with Sophie and Maya!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!